Etihad First Apartment and LHR-AUH A380 flight reviews

Earlier this year, I flew LHR to AUH on Etihad's A380. I was booked in business class, and try as I might, upgrade (using Etihad Guest miles) to first class wasn't available until the morning of my departure. However, the story at the airport was quite different, and so it was only a question of whether I should or shouldn't (I was already flying business class, so I knew it would be a comfortable flight anyway). A quick call to Vinay (that master of persuasive argument) settled the issue - with EY's quadruple miles offer (similar to this one), I'd have earned more miles on just this trip than were needed to upgrade, so the trip sort of paid for the upgrade on its own. And so I was all set for my first First Class flight, that too on the Etihad A380's First Apartment.


I'd reached the airport with time to spare, but thinking through the upgrade process took away a lot of it. So there was just about time now to clear security and head to the lounge for a quick breakfast. While the entry to the lounge was almost opposite my boarding gate, the lounge itself was at a lower level, and it took some time to reach.

Ethiad First and Business Class Lounge LHR

The lounge offering for breakfast wasn't spectacular as I recall it, but served its purpose.

Breakfast at Etihad First and Business Class Lounge LHR

I was under the impression that there were no longer any smoking areas in any of the LHR terminals, but when I re-inquired at the lounge, they mentioned that there was indeed one in that terminal. There appeared to be a little bit of a delay in boarding, and given that I was looking at an almost 7-hour flight, it made sense to have a smoke. However, the smoking area was a long way away from the lounge, so by the time I was back, boarding had commenced.

Given this was an A380 going almost full, and a few minutes late as it was, boarding was done through multiple aerobridges.

Etihad A380 boarding

I couldn't be more excited. My first First Class flight was on what's probably the best first class product as of date.

Etihad A380 first class cabin

I was assigned apartment 3K, which turned out to be a rear-facing seat. Not just any seat...a Poltrona Frau!

Etihad A380 First Class seat

I was initially a bit skeptical about the rear-facing seat, especially with the views looking all different from what I'm normally used to. However, I realised I was getting worrying about nothing.

Etihad A380 First Class view from rear-facing seat

Right away, the lead IFE, the first class cabin supervisor, and the butler who was responsible for the Etihad Residence. Since there was no guest booked on the Residence, Besmir the butler indicated that he was assigned to apartment 3K...which was mine!

I set about taking a few pictures for my personal records (as I had no plans to blog).

Etihad A380 First Class apartment

What I found interesting was that it seemed to be a first for pretty much every passenger that day in first class, and the crew was quite helpful, assisting each passenger with taking their pictures in the F cabin! Once all that settled down, came the welcome drinks. I settled for champagne...

Etihad A380 First Class Champagne menu

...which was served with some Arabic dates and a hot towel, as also a hand-written welcome letter from the IFE, Stephanie.

Etihad A380 First Class welcome drink

This was followed by some more picture-taking, so I'll put all of those up in once place, here.

 Etihad A380 First Class apartment TV and couch


There are no overhead storage cabins to worry about, given how ample the space is, both under the couch as well as under the vanity mirror. Plus a coat hanger next to it.

Etihad A380 First Class apartment couch

 Etihad A380 First Class apartment interior


Etihad A380 First Class view of apartment 3A


Etihad A380 First Class vanity studio inside the apartment


Etihad A380 First Class cabin lighting


Etihad A380 First Class apartment seat - front view

Etihad A380 First Class seat control

Etihad A380 First Class amenity kit

 Etihad A380 First Class apartment wide view


Etihad A380 First Class noise-cancelling headphones

Etihad A380 First Class en-suite minibar

Then the on-board chef, Preet, came over to introduce herself, and to take down my meal choices. I didn't take pictures of the menu in detail, and I can't remember what the specific choices were, except that there were options for fish, chicken and lamb. I wasn't particularly convinced of any of those, so Preet offered to "whip something up", that might be to my liking, with a clause that I could always send it back for something else.

A cup of Arabic coffee followed, which was duly finished off.

Etihad A380 First Class Arabic coffee

We were now ready for pushback and taxiing, so I turned on the tail camera for a good view of things.

Etihad A380 First Class tail camera

Interesting thing about the in flight entertainment controller - it doubles up as a mini monitor to preview whatever you want to, while a different program runs on the main TV.

Etihad A380 First Class entertainment controller

As we taxied, I was treated to this wonderful sight!

Etihad A380 First Class taxiing view of the Concorde

We taxied for a while, and then took off to one of the smoothest take-offs I've ever experienced...and mind you, the A380 is a massive bird! It was quite bright and sunny, and the views were pretty good for a while, after which there was nothing but blue sky. I enjoyed all of these for a while, and then decided now would be a good time to down the shutters...automated, of course!

Etihad A380 First Class windows with electronic shades

Once the seat belt signs were switched off, the crew walked through the cabin taking orders for drinks. I decided to stick to the champagne for the moment, which was now served with vegetable sticks, mixed olives and warm nuts.

Etihad A380 First Class drinks service

I decided to stretch out stretch out a little bit and watch a movie for a while, before lunch was served. Two or three more glasses of champange were consumed in this vile exhibition of gluttony and sloth.

Etihad A380 First Class movie

Soon enough, the meal service started. With a fresh glass of champagne and more warm nuts.

Etihad A380 First Class meal service drinks

First, Besmir laid out the table, very carefully and precisely.

Etihad A380 First Class table setting

This was followed by a starter that the chef suggested.

Etihad A380 First Class starter

And another starter - the one I'd asked for - the Arabic mezze platter.

Etihad A380 First Class starter - Arabic Mezze platter

Next, I was brought a small serving of fruit sorbet, to cleanse the palate before the main course.

Etihad A380 First Class Sorbet

And finally, the mains. An excellent preparation of chicken, with a side of mash, and vegetables.

Etihad A380 First Class Lunch main course

I struggled manfully and finished the mains, but was too stuffed at this point to have dessert, so I asked for that to be served later. I suppose on Etihad's (or any airline's) first class service, that's a privilege that goes with the product - the ability to choose when you want to do what, other than take off and land, I suppose!

I used the time to walk through the cabin, and checked out the business class section. After that, I stopped for a while at the lounge that separates the first and business class cabins. The lounge can seat about 6 people, in a comfortable setting.

Etihad A380 First Class on-board Lounge

There's a TV to catch up on news or other happenings.

Etihad A380 First Class on-board lounge

And a bar with display, to pick your choice of beverage from.

Etihad A380 First Class on-board lounge bar

I spent time sipping on some champagne and chatting with some of the crew. Unlike several other airlines where the crew are either indifferent or their enthusiasm can appear forced, these folks at Etihad seemed genuinely eager and interested to have conversations with their guests. I was even served a specific preparation of coffee, which I'd offhand indicated to the butler prior to departure - such is their attention to detail.

By the time I came back to my apartment, the bed had been made (Besmir had offered to do it while I was touring the cabin), and all set for me to have a quick lie down with TV, followed by a short nap.

 Etihad A380 First Class bed


Etihad A380 First Class bed

Mind you, this isn't the seat that converts to a bed, but the couch opposite the seat. It was sufficiently long enough for me, and I was off for a quick snooze.

Etihad A380 First Class bed

I asked to be woken up a couple of hours before landing, and sure enough, I was up in time. That's when the chef came over to remind me that I hadn't had dessert yet. She also made it a point to mention that there was enough of all of the choices to go round, but I couldn't make up my mind. So here's what I got when I asked her to decide for me.

Etihad A380 First Class desserts

That, BTW, is a chocolate mousse with raspberries, an exotic ice cream, followed by three separate samplers of whatever those were that I can't remember specifically. Pretty much all of the first class dessert offerings. All of these were polished off in due course.

I then realised that I hadn't taken pictures of the bath and shower, so off I went.

 Etihad A380 First Class bathroom


 Etihad A380 First Class bathroom


 Etihad A380 First Class shower controls


Etihad A380 First Class shower area

It was time to start winding down this ripper of a ride, as the seat belt signs came on in a while.

Etihad A380 First Class view before landing

For whatever reason, our descent seemed to take some more time. So the butler came around offering another drink. I wanted a change from the champagne, so he suggested JW Blue Label, which was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Etihad A380 First Class whisky

After a bit of delay, it was Abu Dhabi for me.

Etihad A380 First Class descent view

I had a fantastic flight, and can't wait for my next first class flight on Etihad's A380! One final picture for keepsakes!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Free Marriott Silver status...

50% off at Marriott in Thailand, for one night

Qatar, Etihad and Gulf Air fare sales - ending soon