Two days in Bucharest - Day 1

I was on a recent work trip to Bucharest, Romania in end-July. I flew Lufthansa business class (including intra-Europe business class). I've reviewed those products here and here, so I won't be writing about them again. I stayed at a serviced apartment sort of place, booked by my hosts, and hence there's no review.

I was able to get a little bit of time off on two of the 3 days that I was there. I usually take a long(ish) walk in order to (a) see and get a feel of the place a little bit, and (b) tire myself out so I get a good night's sleep. This trip was no different. The first day was actually a half-day, the afternoon I landed.

This post has some (what I think are) awesome sights from that evening. The second post in this series (called Day 2) has pictures from what was was actually Day 3 of my stay (I had the entire day to myself). But that'll come later. Here goes day 1.

Warning: You'll probably see a beer (or 4) here among the pictures. That's just honest journalism!

Sculptures outside the National Theatre

My residences were near Piata Romana, and I'd done some basic research on the key spots within a short walking distance. I was essentially focussed on visiting Lipscani, or the Old Town (which is usually a fantastic place in every European city of repute that features an Old Town!).

Bulevardul General Gheorghe Magheru

CEC Bank on Calei Victorei

National Museum of Romanian History

Refreshing myself and my memory with the map

Calei Victorei 


Streets of Old Town near Calei Victorei 

Ruins of Vlad's citadel

Ruins of Vlad's citadel

Ruins of Vlad's citadel

Ruins of Vlad's citadel - Vlad Tepes himself!

Ruins of Vlad's citadel

Near Calei Victorei

Uniri Square Park fountains

Hanul Manuc - the oldest operating hotel in Romania

Hanul Manuc - inside


Stavropoleos (Greek Orthodox) Monastery

Stavropoleos (Greek Orthodox) Monastery - ceiling art

Stavropoleos (Greek Orthodox) Monastery - gardens

Stavropoleos Monastery

National Bank of Romania


Offices of the Social Democratic party

Art outside the National Theatre

National Theatre


Government offices

Winding down

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Marriott Silver status...

50% off at Marriott in Thailand, for one night

Qatar, Etihad and Gulf Air fare sales - ending soon