So, UberX is finally in Chennai

UberX, being Uber's low cost option, is finally in Chennai - 8 months after the regular Uber full-service started operations there. I've been a big fan of Uber, and I think even though most of the initial excitement with the luxury sedans has since worn off, I find Uber extremely convenient for weekend nights and for their non-cash payments.



The only problem is availability, since they now use Toyota Innovas almost exclusively (yes, gone are the days of the Mercs and BMWs!), and there are often times when there just isn't a good number of available vehicles to go around. So it is no wonder that I'm glad they've launched UberX.



At first sight, it doesn't appear to be significantly less expensive than the regular Uber, but with the traffic situation as it is in Chennai, this does look like a great option to have in the medium- to long-term (in terms of number of rides). The reasons for that are mainly:

  • the per minute charge - Rs 1 - is half of the charge for UberBlack; and
  • the per KM rate is Rs 4 lesser than for UberBlack.


Together, this means that for my usual office to airport ride of 16 kms (normally 40 mins), I'll end up with savings of around Rs 100, which is 20-25% off the normal price. And honestly, I don't see why one person with a carry-on needs an Innova, when a smaller vehicle will do - they're proposing to use Toyota Etios, Ford Fiesta and Maruti Swift DZire vehicles at this stage, and you know what, I'm perfectly fine with those. I average 4-6 airport trips a month (that's one way) and at least 2-3 weekend trips, so UberX works for me - in theory as of now.

The bigger question is, how long will Uber as such survive in India, given their payment hassles. But given that they're launching a new product class one month before their technical "last day" to sort out payment issues, I'm guessing they've found a way to continue services.

I also like Uber for their inventive marketing campaigns and participation in local issues and celebrations. You can read more of my posts on Uber, here.

What's your take? Does UberX work for you?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Marriott Silver status...

50% off at Marriott in Thailand, for one night

Qatar, Etihad and Gulf Air fare sales - ending soon