Have you heard of Zav Airways and Air Carnival?

If you haven't I can't blame you. I heard of both of these for the first time, last evening over drinks with a friend who works in the travel industry. So I decided to check them out.

Warning: Before you proceed, I'd like to clarify that this entire post is a bit of a ramble...at least that's how I saw it when I read a preview. That said, I'm feeling a little under the weather right now, and I'm not really up to it (both mentally and physically) to refine the post. My apologies for the shoddiness and the ramble.

Both Zav Airways and Air Carnival were recently given approval by the Ministry of Civil Aviation in India, to operate passenger aircraft services. I don't believe either of them are currently operational in their own little way (chartered services, for instance), no matter what their websites have to say on the matter.

Let's look at Zav Airways first. Zav plans to fly exclusively in the North-East of India. Most airports in this region are small, with short runways; and bar Kolkata, I don't think any of the others They have a fully loaded website, waiting for the missing bits to be filled in. Unfortunately, those missing bits are quite a lot!


Here's a look at the contacts page...with placeholders for all the information they may need to incorporate!


I do hope they are the real deal, and will soon fly to the North-East, which has been left rather neglected, if you ask me. Do check out their website, if you feel like it.

The second one is Air Carnival. I'm not sure about the fancy name, but they were established in 2013. Air Carnival is expected to focus on South India. Hmm, isn't that what Air Asia flies as of now? Are these guys going to compete with them? What about Air Costa?

But I think they first need to focus on performing a spell check.


And while they have next to nothing in terms of commercial aviation as of date, they claim to have "...a fully trained team to react quickly and safely carry critically ill patients to hospitals anywhere in India with medical experts and other necessary medical personnel with all the essential life-saving equipments."

And finally, their website isn't really what you'd call up and running. Virtually all pages point to this one, and the social media links point to some educational institution. All very strange!


And while we're at it, whatever happened to ABC Airways?

Methinks there's way too much going on in the Indian skies, and I can imagine if much of this is either just hype or simply wannabes who want their 15 minutes. However, if they do manage to take off, that'll be great for the competition, particularly so with Zav Airways (the North East factor is critical). 

But I still can't wait for the Tata-SIA combine to start operations, which is expected in the third quarter of 2014. With the SIA factor involved, it would be great if they'd allow earning miles, which can be of great use with Air India now being part of Star Alliance, same as KrisFlyer (SQ's FFP).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Marriott Silver status...

50% off at Marriott in Thailand, for one night

Qatar, Etihad and Gulf Air fare sales - ending soon