This just in - A little more fees, a little less miles, on Jet

I've just now received an email from Jet Airways that reads as below:



The means that tickets will now be costlier either on account of
  • Optional Payment Charges (OPC) for bookings made at Jet Airways' offices (including at the airport)
  • Convenience Fees for bookings made online

Charges are Rs 105 (I suppose that is Rs 100 of charges and Rs 5 of taxes), which is how much more each ticket - domestic or international - will be more expensive by. As of now, these are for each ticket, as opposed to each sector of travel. I do understand that for many readers, this may not be such a big amount, but the growing number of air travelers in India might find this to be a bit of a dent in their pockets.

Also, as you can see from the excerpt above, there will be no more
  • 250 miles bonuses for web check ins, or
  • 125 miles bonuses for kiosk check ins at the airport

This is a bit of a bummer. 250 miles for web check-ins has been there for the longest time, and easily adds at least 20% (if not more), to the total miles earned when traveling on Jet Airways. 125 miles also isn't a bad deal. I average about 60 Jet Airways flights a year, which would mean a loss of around 15k miles going forward, each year. That's enough miles to get me a one way MAA-DEL ticket.

Oh well...

[subsequent update]

So I posted whatever is above, pretty much as soon as I got word of it. I then napped a long while, mainly on account of a serious lack of sleep last night, so here I'm back, fresh if also a bit groggy. I've also got some extra thoughts.

The OPC / Convenience Fee. Jet says these apply effective 14 March 2014, which is last Friday. Which is all fine, except that I don't recall this being taken away in the first place, that it needed to be reinstated. That said, I must also admit it has been a rather long time since I booked a 9W ticket on my own, after my employer insisted that only the agency we had appointed would have to book all our travel. Something to do with internal controls, I'm told. So this "reinstatement" of OPC / Convenience Fee may or may not be news, to you.

No miles for web and kiosk check ins. This is a bit more serious. I tend to agree with AJ (Live from a Lounge), when he says that these miles were introduced to reduce time and staff costs at check in counters. Since those early days, the use of web and kioks check ins have come a really long way, and attracted a lot of users. Also, after the recent sale of the JP program by 9W to Etihad, the new owners of JP may have felt that this was an unnecessary liability in terms of points, given that the web / kisok check in passengers of today won't really go back to counter check-ins, having now experienced the benefits that the web / kisoks give. I also agree, that in principle I don't see the bonus points for online bookings going away, though we should see a reduction from the existing level of 500 points per booking. Let's see how that particular cookie crumbles...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Marriott Silver status...

50% off at Marriott in Thailand, for one night

Qatar, Etihad and Gulf Air fare sales - ending soon