Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh

When I said I was going to be off the blog for a few days, I didn't expect so much to happen. I'll write about some of these soon enough, but just so you know:

  • Jet Airways is now a mileage-earning partner on Rocketmiles - that's one more reason to use them, now.
  • There's a double JP miles promotion promotion for bookings up to 6 October 2014, on Jet Airways and Etihad, for travel up to 15 December 2014, that you need to register for.
  • You can now get a 10% extra discount and 5 Extra JP Miles for shopping on amazon.in with your Amex credit card, under the Teen-Do-Paanch promotion. Valid till 30 September 2014, on transaction of Rs 15,000 or more. The 10% discount is via an Amazon Gift Card, capped at Rs 5,000 per Amex Card.
  • SPG is JetPrivilege's new partner, so you can earn JPMiles on your stays with SPG (instead of SPG points, that is!). You can also earn 2x miles till 31 December 2014, by registering here. Oh, and you can also get 5000 bonus JPMiles for every 20,000 SPG points transferred to JP. SPG converts to JP on a 1:1 ratio. In my view, this has to go down as the joke of the decade!



But all that apart, up until a couple of weeks back, I was most excited that I'd be earning Star Alliance Gold after just one international trip. It was a MAA-FRA-WAW, WAW-FRA-MAA trip on LH business class, and it could work out. And indeed I did - by posting my travel on Aegean.




I got Aegean Gold - and by extension, Star Alliance Gold - on the morning of 24 September 2014. Yay!

But the excitement was shortlived. Later that day, this is what I read:


Aegean just changed their program. And it takes effect in a couple of months.

I felt sick. I still do. Years of waiting, weeks of planning, scheduling, working out the best approach, and actually getting down to flying - a trip that wasn't confirmed until noon on the day I flew. And this is what I get.

Maybe I've got some unused stock of bad points and miles karma that's come to bite me in the rear now. Maybe this is a lesson? Who knows!

Sh!t happens.


Comments

  1. True, but difficult to retain with AI. With the old Aegean, it was only a question of posting 1 flight every 36 months...anyway, this is a watershed moment in my approach to loyalty programs...new thinking will be unveiled soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. It was a deal too good to last very long.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Free Marriott Silver status...

50% off at Marriott in Thailand, for one night

Qatar, Etihad and Gulf Air fare sales - ending soon